**This post contains affiliate links. I may be compensated if you make a purchase.**
I think the hardest part about the gym is actually getting my butt off the couch and going there! It’s not the lack of endurance I have, my lack of equipment knowledge, or my own insecurities that keep me from going. Oh no, the hardest part is making myself get up and actually go. I don’t know WHY it is so hard! But it is, it really really is.
However, after I’ve gone to the gym, sweaty and all, I feel AMAZING. I feel powerful. I feel sexy. I feel strong. I feel like I accomplished something good for myself. Something that will improve my health. And it makes it worth it every time.
So why is it so hard to get there??? Maybe it’s because my couch feels so comfy and cozy and I’ve just started binge watching Grey’s Anatomy. Or maybe it’s because I know it’s 100+ degrees outside and I don’t want to fry my skin after being exposed for 5 seconds. Maybe it’s because I know how many fit and in-shape people there are at the gym and they sometimes make me feel insecure and fat. Maybe it’s because of that.
Or maybe I’m just being lazy and using every excuse in the book to not get myself there. Whatever your reason is. It’s not a reason. Unless you’re dying or someone close to you is dying, you are more than capable of getting up and going. If you are like me and you need all the motivation you can get, check out these 5 ways to get your butt off the couch and in the gym!
- Go with a gym partner! Before my husband and I even joined our gym, we knew that my sister and brother-in-law also had memberships, which made it a whole lot easier to get our feet in the door. I was nervous to go at first, but knowing my sis would be there made it so easy and comfortable to just GO! We also got our mom to join, so that means more people to go with me! If the gym makes you nervous because you think you’ll look silly because you don’t know how to work equipment, you shouldn’t! Everyone had to start at some point and learn how to use these crazy looking muscle-makers!
- Make a kick-butt play list!! This may sound dumb, but having the right music to get you grooving and moving helps immensely! I have to have my workout playlist on when I’m there to get me pumped up. And I swear it works. Check out my current playlist:
1. “Can’t Feel My Face” by The Weekend
2. “Cheerleader” by Omi
3. “Fight Song” by Rachel Platten
4. “Want to Want me” by Jason Derulo
5. “Uma Thurman” by Fall Out Boy
6. “Honey I’m Good” by Andy Grammer
7. “Shut Up and Dance” by Walk the Moon
8. “Renegades” by X Ambassadors
9. “I Don’t Like it, I Love it” by Flo Rida feat. Robin Thicke
10. “Ex’s & Oh’s” by Elle King
11. “Geronimo” by Sheppard
- Get cute new workout clothes! Sorry but this always works for me. And I don’t think my husband likes it very much! I mean, when we buy new clothes, of course we want to put them on and try them out. They can sometimes be expensive but if you can find the right deals, websites, and coupon codes, you can get some great stuff! You just have to look! Check out Zulily, Reebok, Adidas, and Fabletics for some great finds!
- Sign up for a class! The great thing about most gyms is that they have classes taught by professional fitness instructors. If you have researched the classes your gym offers and have made a commitment to it, it’s that much easier to get yourself to the gym! Not to mention they are so much fun. I have gone to Pilates, sculpting and shaping, and even a step class since joining (with my sister of course, I need a buddy!), and have loved them all! Not to mention I now feel confident in going to these classes on my own too.
- Reward yourself after you’ve accomplished a goal! Have you been working toward a 5k goal? Or maybe lifting a certain weight? Yes, I realize we are not children and we shouldn’t really be bribing ourselves, ah whatever, if it makes you exercise, reward yourself! I mean, how about a new workout top? Or a pedicure? You worked hard, now go get pampered!
These are just a few ways to motivate you into working out and becoming the best you can possibly be! And God instructs us to take care of our bodies and treat them as temples.
I hope you found this helpful and will use some of these suggestions to get into the gym. What do you do to motivate yourself into exercising?