I can’t believe it’s been 6 months since I started blogging! The past 6 months have been busy, stressful, crazy, FUN, and I’ve learned so so much! Who knew blogging would take up literally hours and hours out of my day? I sure didn’t. But now that I’m here, I am fully dedicated and happier than I have ever been.
I get to vent, share, inspire, make people laugh, and I love that! I get to share my side of motherhood, which could take up pages and pages of this blog if I had the time to write it all down! Which I will, eventually 😉
Here are some things I’ve learned in my 6 months of blogging..
- Blogging takes up a lot more time than you think it does. There are so many steps that go into publishing an article. Not only do you have to spend a huge amount of time writing it and making sure it’s up to par, you have to share, advertise, create pics, add links, and spell check, just to name a few. It’s a long process.
- Once you really start getting involved in the blogging community, you will meet a lot of awesome people….. and some not so awesome people. I’ve learned that the hard way. Blogging is mostly made up of women, (there ARE quite a few men too) and a couple of the women I’ve met are just catty and drama queens. It’s unfortunate.
- You must have a thick skin. I’m still working on this one. But it really is a must if you’re going to put all your thoughts out there for everyone to read. If you ask for constructive criticism from fellow bloggers, it can be hard to handle. And when you don’t ask for anyone’s opinions, and they tell you anyways, that’s when you REALLY need to keep it together, brush it off and move on. Not everyone has the same thoughts as you. And that is SO okay. It’s what makes you unique. And people like unique. So keep doing what you’re doing!
- Making money doing this is harder than it looks. I’ve made some income doing blogging, but it doesn’t come easy. Putting ads on your blog basically does NOTHING unless you have a huge amount of traffic, which I still don’t. My money has mostly come from doing reviews. Which I love. If you’re thinking of getting started, PLEASE don’t sell yourself short, CHARGE MONEY to review products. No one should work for free. Even if you are getting a free product. No. Like I said, creating a post takes a TON of work. Charge some money for it people!
- SEO is everything. If you want to get noticed on Google, Yahoo, or Bing, you’ve got to have great SEO. There are plenty of plugins that help you in this process. Take advantage of it! Tag, Tag, Tag.. And make sure you have an enticing title! If you wouldn’t want to click on it and read more, chances are no one else will either. Take the time to make sure it’s a clickable title.
- Who knew I actually enjoyed writing? I’ve never thought of myself as a writer. Not in the least bit. But I have finally found something that takes up my time in a positive way and maybe even sometimes encourages people. You don’t know how good it feels to see a comment that says how a fellow mom laughed while reading my post because they could totally relate to it and it made their day. Me?! I made your day by writing something??? It makes me extremely happy.
I hope you enjoyed my little recap. How long have you been blogging? Are you thinking of starting your own blog? If you are, GO WITH WORDPRESS. Every blogger I know will tell you the same thing..
Here’s a link on how to get started!