I guess you could say I was one of those girls who always dreamed about that cliqué wedding growing up. I thought I’d always wanted a big, festive, family filled wedding. I dreamed about it being outdoors in the warm summer air, with my dad as the officiant of course. He was a pastor at the time so the thought just came naturally. But sometimes the things that we assume are going to happen don’t, and maybe they weren’t the best option for us in the first place. Instead of having a big wedding filled with flowers, family, and dancing, we decided to elope. We made that choice for a lot of reasons, and it was the right choice for us. And guess what, we don’t regret it!
I honestly didn’t need the big wedding. We decided to make an appointment at the court house in town and secretly get hitched. Do we regret it? Absolutely not. No one was really on board with our relationship, we were pretty broke, and we wanted to do what was right in our hearts and with God. We made the decision to leave our families out of it. And it worked out!
~ Reasons We Eloped ~
- Saved us a butt load of money!– We spent a whopping $67 to get our marriage license, about $30 on a new white dress I found at the mall, and $10 on a bouquet we bought on the way to the courthouse. So, $107 dollars vs. what, $20,000+ for the average size wedding in the US? Yeah….. we definitely came out on top with that one!
- It was all about ME and HIM– With weddings, it can be hard to keep the focus on what’s really important. You and your significant other. There’s the in-laws, the cousins, the brothers, sisters, and all those other people who have an opinion and want exactly what they want at YOUR wedding. Who needs all that?
- NO DRAMA- Of course this is a huge one. The freaking drama that comes with having ALL of your friends and family together can be just too darn much. I have three sisters and a mom, and all of us are loud, opinionated, and very, very vocal. Need I say more?
- No Waiting!– This may or may not be a good thing, but for us it was good! We didn’t need to wait any longer. Planning a wedding can take years and years. I am not a patient person, nor did I want to wait years to get married! Waiting for the courthouse to have a opening was about 1 week. That’s it!
- No Emotional Pain. – My dad passed away just months earlier. And if we had a huge wedding, it would have been extremely hard for me to not fall over crying because he wasn’t there. I am the only one in my family who didn’t have him there for their wedding. And I didn’t need that thrown in my face. It’s not that I didn’t want him to be remembered, it was just too soon and too hard for me to have EVERYONE there, except him.
We didn’t have the fancy dress, the gorgeous venue, the sharp tuxedos, or even memorable pictures. But we had each other. When I look back on the day we said “I do”, I have nothing but happy thoughts. Our 8th anniversary was last week and I just want to say I am more in love today than I ever was. We trusted God and went with it. And guess what? It worked! Keep God FIRST in your marriage. No matter what. And great things will happen!
Mark 10:6-9 “But from the beginning of creation, God made them male and female. Therefore a man shall leave his father and mother and hold fast to his wife and the two shall become one flesh. What therefore God has joined together, let no man separate.”