I’m going to brag about my husband a little bit here. My hubby of 8 years, the love of my life, the father of my three kids, and my best friend, is a REAL man. Let me tell you why I love him so much..
My husband and I had just finished eating lunch and somehow the topic “what do I do that annoys you?” came up. For married couples, I think we all know this can get real ugly, real quick. This topic is just a huge NO NO. It can only end badly right? Well, here we went anyways, talking about what each other does that annoys the crap out of us on a daily basis. He hates when I tear the tags off of new clothes and leave the them laying around the house wherever I want, and I will admit, it’s a bad habit! On the flip side, I hate when he leaves his clothes laying all over the living room. Imagine the dad from “The Goldbergs” (Jeff Garlin) who immediately removes his pants when he gets home from work, that is exactly my husband.
We both have things that we don’t like about each other. There is no marriage out there that is perfect. Regardless of the lists we had just told each other, we still laughed and I said, “yes, we both hate each other sometimes, but we sure do love each other.” So here, not in any particular order, are some things I LOVE about my husband and what makes him a real man..
- He’s a provider. I stay home and he works extremely hard to make that possible. He works nights, goes without sleep on most days, and rarely complains. If he does, it is justified. He is an RN. I could not do what he does.
- He show’s interest. He will walk to the park every week with our son to practice basketball with him. He will practice karate moves at home with our son till he masters the moves and understands them. He twirls our daughter, dances with here, draws with her, because that’s what she loves to do. He SHOWS he cares. Can’t stress how important it is for a father to show he cares about his kids and their likes.
- He helps out with the baby. I’ve talked to a lot of women who say that their husbands do not help with the kids when they are babies. They refuse to change diapers or feed the baby. And I just do not get that! Isn’t that the best part of having a newborn?! Yeah, sometimes it can be yucky, but it’s part of the experience! My hubby feeds our baby boy, changes the gross diapers, plays with him, holds him, and loves him.
- He gives me “me” time. Me time whenever I want and without even flinching. This is a big one. Other men DO NOT do this so easily. At least that’s what I’ve heard. If I want to go to Target, I go. Starbucks, I go. Whenever and wherever. He is always willing to watch the kids for me. And I so desperately need that after being a stay-at-home mom for 8 years!
- He encourages me. When I’m struggling with something, he’s always there to lift me up and tell me I can do it! He never doubts my abilities. And having low self esteem, I appreciate that more than anything.
- He tells me I’m beautiful. No further explanation needed. Women need this.
- He still buys me flowers. Maybe not as often as I’d like, but it does happen occasionally!
- He talks to our kids about God. I love this about him. When the kids have questions, he’s not afraid to answer. He does a great job with that. Both our eldest children have accepted Jesus into their hearts, and if they did not have Godly parents as a role models, it most likely would not have happened.
- He makes me laugh. Everyday. 100 times. The dumbest, stupidest, craziest things that he knows makes me laugh. He says them. And it always makes me smile! Probably the main reason I fell in love with this guy. He gets my humor, and it makes me melt.
- He is focused on me during our, ya know, “special time”. Hope that’s not TMI. Sexual intimacy is important in marriage and he makes sure my needs are cared for before his.
- He helps clean!! He will take the trash out, do dishes, wash bottles, and I’ve even seen him on rare occasions vacuuming! I know! I’m sorry, but how hot is it when you see a man cleaning? That can’t just be me..
- He’s basically a professional chef. I’m so thankful for Youtube sometimes, that’s where he learned to cook, lol. And MAN is he good at it.
Of course I could go on and on… and on the other hand, I can add plenty of things to the “I don’t like” list, but in marriage, you have to overlook the bad and focus on the good in your spouse. My husband is an amazing man. I am proud of him. I am thankful God gave this man to me exactly when I needed him. Marriage is hard, but totally worth it. Overlooking the little things is a must if you want to be happy in life. You hate ’em and love ’em at the same time! And let’s not forget to recognize our men once in a while and show our appreciation for how amazing they are!
Jeremiah 17:7 “Blessed is the man who trusts in the Lord, whose confidence is in Him.”