There’s so much going on in the world right now that I can discuss. Why not start with what’s going on in my own neighborhood? As most of you probably know, there was an outbreak of the measles that supposedly stemmed from the Disneyland resort in Southern California. I live in the Central Valley where there has been word of one man who has been infected walking all over town spreading the disease, going to the mall, and even the hospital where my husband works. I have family in Southern California who were informed that someone from their city also has a case of the measles. It’s getting too close for comfort. Let me start off this post by saying I believe in vaccinations.
Let’s state the facts, shall we? According to the CDC,
- the majority of the people who got measles are unvaccinated. (Shocker)
- Measles is still common in many parts of the world including some countries in Europe, Asia, the Pacific, and Africa.
- Travelers with measles continue to bring the disease into the U.S.
- Measles can spread when it reaches a community in the U.S. where groups of people are unvaccinated.
Now, with that said, this issue really irks me, because I am a MOM. I have three little children who are all at a higher risk now because of people out there who don’t vaccinate their kids. My kids have received every vaccination necessary for them to remain as healthy as possible. But that doesn’t mean they are immune to measles. They now have MORE of a chance to get this disease because people around them have decided to act irresponsibly and leave their children unvaccinated, creating an unsafe surrounding for my children. One of my children has only received their first shot of the vaccine and must wait until they get older to receive the next. My 5 month old is not even old enough to get his first shot yet. Children must wait till they are 12-14 months old to receive their first vaccination. So two of children are at a greater risk. Why? Why are these hippie dippie parents deciding to keep their children unvaccinated?? Are the side effects THAT horrible to them? What are the side effects of the MMR vaccine?
Side effects according to the CDC
- “Most children do not have any side effects from the shot. The side effects that do occur are usually very mild, such as a fever or rash. More serious side effects are rare. These may include high fever that could cause a seizure (in about 1 person out of every 3,000 who get the shot) and temporary pain and stiffness in joints (mostly in teens and adults).”
Is the MMR shot related to Autism? “No. Scientists in the United States and other countries have carefully studied the MMR shot. None has found a link between autism and the MMR shot.” –CDC
Okay, so let me get this straight, you willingly chose to put millions of other people at risk of getting an extremely serious infection because you didn’t want your kid to MAYBE, POSSIBLY get a fever that could MAYBE, POSSIBLY cause a seizure?? What the????? I don’t get it. I really don’t. If there was a cure for cancer, with possible side effects, would you take it? Of course you would! If there was a way to cure a horrible disease, WHICH THERE IS, why oh why wouldn’t you give it to your kids? Aren’t we supposed to do everything we can to protect out families?! We pray and pray for the healing of diseases, and God answers those prayers by giving us people who are brilliant and who create cures. I honestly don’t know what the heck is wrong with some people. You cannot keep your kids in a bubble. Get them vaccinated!